Patna: Four charred to death as LPG cylinder explodes on boat in Ganga river

The boat was carrying around 20 passengers
PATNA: At least four people charred to death and several others were injured on Saturday, after a country-made boat carrying 20 passengers caught fire triggered by explosion of a domestic LPG cylinder near the ghat of Sone river in Patna’s Maner area.
The explosion took place at Rampur Diara under Maner police station in Danapur following the leakage in the LPG cylinder as one of the laborers was cooking food on the boat. After the incident, the laborers escaped from the spot as they were carrying out the illegal sand mining operations, the police officials said.
SHO Rajiv Ranjan reached the spot with police force after getting the information about the incidents. The charred bodies were recovered from the debris and sent to Danapur sub-divisional hospital for the post-mortem. The SHO has confirmed the death of 4 people in cylinder blast on the boat.
“The incident occurred around 9am at Patila Ghat, when one of the labourer was cooking meal on board. The cylinder caught fire and exploded with loud noise. Within few seconds the diesel engine of the boat also caught fire and the laborers who were sleeping on the boat were charred to death while the others managed to escape,” Ranjan said.
He told this newspaper that the boat was laden with sand which scattered all over the ghat after the explosion. “It seems they were carrying the illegal sand mining when the incident took place. The police have been investigating the matter,” the SHO said.
The deceased have been identified as a 32-year-old Ranjan Paswan, son of Shriram Paswan, Dashrath Paswan (32), son of late Prabhu Paswan and Omprakash Rai (34), son of Ravindra Rai, all residents of Haldi Chappra in Maner and Kanhaiya Bind (40) of Shobhanpur village in Sahebganj district, Jharkhand.
The explosion was so strong that it’s sound was heard to few kms away. Hearing the noise, the locals rushed to the spot and informed the police about the incident. The fire brigade reached the spot and started the rescue operation.
FacebookTwitterInstagramKOO APPYOUTUBE
Start a Conversation
end of article